Saturday, 2 July 2011

Uncle Tuck Seng

Uncle Tuck Seng is my new friend.I just called him up.He keep asking me to make a visit to his house…
He is fifty-one years old.Yeah,he is one of the senior self-advocates in United Voice(UV).It was during the second day of our attachment in UV that I first talked to him.
You may ask what is actually“United Voice”and why I was doing there. 
 Well,United Voice is actually a Self-Advocacy Society of persons with learning disabilities.The centre that we visited is only 2-3 kilometers distance from the International House of University of Malaya.
The members of UV include persons with Down Syndrome,Autism,Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder(ADHD),Global Development Delay(GDD),Cerebral Palsy and other specific learning disabilities.So far there are about 26 members in UV which their ages ranged from 20+ to 50+.(They once have a 14 years old member which is the youngest they have).So Uncle Tuck Seng is one of the eldest in UV and he is a slow learner .
I’m really acknowledge to the chance that was given to have 3 days of attachment in UV under Social Work Explosure& Embracement Programme(SWEEP).
Doing attachment is a very different story from those one day touch-and-go visit trips.During these 3 days,we did really sit down to be friends with them and become their helpers.Eight of us were in a team to UV and once we were in the centre,we took our seats  next to our new friends separately.
Our friends in UV are doing with mould-punching,braid-making,paste&stick,sewing and saori-making(kind of textiles which the technique imported from Japan).Some of them doing bakery in the kitchen(it was the appetizing smell that make me feel hungry at the wrong time!)
Their effort produce greeting cards,bookmarks,fridge magnets,handphone strap,keychain and saori scarf.All of their products can be purchased at their giftshop located at the entrance of UV centre.The handmaking products is very eye-catching  for the girls(including me!!!)and we are really “tempted”to do shopping when we first reached there.
I totally agree with PQ sayings that “until you really sit down and complete the tasks with them,you would never know how precious is it for them to create a simple item even like bookmark.”They are really serious with the tasks that they were given.The quality control is super strict,sometimes they even reject mine!!!  “Carol,you made it so loose,please do it again.”
Yes,they are not the kind that beating around the bush!
I noticed that some of them were doing  different tasks at different days,perhaps it is to help them to learn more(sometimes it is also quite boring for them to do the same again and again).Uncle Tuck Seng was making braids during the day I approached him.He has a kindly-looking face and I heard from others that he is cantonese-speaking.
Hehe,this make me want to get know about him a little bit more.
I felt welcomed by him from his expression(to have one partner to chat with him in cantonese).We start our conversation very soon.He always ask“How about you?”after he told me his story.From there I can really sense that he has a  child’s heart,he is sincere to tell me the story and is willing to listen to mine.It’s really nice to talk with him.
He likes watching TV especially live football matches and Kung Fu serials.Many times I really amused by him in the way he expressed himself.
He is funny enough to make me laugh wholeheartedly.
Uncle Tuck Seng  is at the age as my dad,but I felt like I was talking to my grandpa.not because he is laobeh…but I felt close to him as my yeye…
I feel a bit heartbroken at the second week of SWEEP when JL told me that he ask one thousand times that why don’t I follow the team to visit UV again.It was my final decision to do my second attachment at Shelther Home instead.
JL said“you better keep your promise to visit him again,don’t let him down”.
Yeah,I forgot that he has a child’s heart,he will wait for me…

*First time in ENGLISH,hehe*

2 comments:

  1. not as terrible as you thought la...ok wat~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. not bad oso.... 你用华语的话会较好……较能感受你的感受。
    不知道啦……

    ReplyDelete